ATTRACTIONS
The Mamai Hill
It is the main sightseeing of Volgograd. In short, “a visiting card” of the city. The whole square of the architectural-and-sculptural complex is about 26 hectares. It stretches from the foot up to the top of the hill for almost 1,5 km. The central figure of the composition is known as “Motherland calls” More...
The Square of the Fallen Fighters
It is the central square of Volgograd which is surrounded by numerous sightseeings: a post-office, hotels “Intourist” and “Volgograd”, drama theatre. The monument in memory of the fallen defenders of the city was erected here with the eternal flame by it. In front of the drama theatre you can see the monument to Alexander Nevskiy. (He is considered to be a celestial protector of Volgograd). More…
The Heroes` Alley
The Heroes` Alley consists of 3 parallel streets. It connects the Square of the Fallen Fighters and the Central Embankment (on the Volga – river). More…
The Central Embankment
The Central Embankment (named after the 62-th Army) was built after the Great Patriotic War. You can find here sightseeings of different historical periods starting from the time when Volgograd was named Tsaritsin till nowadays. More…
Lenin Square
Lenin Square combines several monuments. Lenin`s sculpture is situated in the centre of the square. Brothers grave, Pavlov`s House and the Officers House surround it. More…
Museum – Panorama ”Stalingrad Battle”
It is a modern historical complex. It`s total square is about 4500 sq. m. One can see here, the ruins of Grudin`s Mill, military equipment and a round panorama “The defeat of Fascist Troops at Stalingrad”. The art pictures of Panorama about the Great Patriotic War are the greatest in the world. More…
Komsomol Park
Komsomol Park occupies some territory near the Square of the Fallen Fighters and combines the sightseeings of different periods of Volgograd existance. More…
Reconciliation Square
Tsaritsin was founded here. It`s glorious history started from this place. More…
Ludnikov Island
It is a small lot of land (700 m in the length and 400 m in the width) on the right bank of the Volga, in the region of the plant ”Barrikadi”. The 138-th Division under the command of Colonel I.I. Ludnikov had been defending this lot from November, 11 till December, 21, 1942 for 40 days. Our soldiers didn`t give the Nazi troops any chance to capture it. More…
The Volga – Don Navigation Canal
People had been dreaming of connecting the Volga and Don for a long time. But all the attempts failed. Only in 1952 that dream came true. The length of the canal is 101 km. It connected five seas: the Black, Asov, Caspian, Baltic and White ones. More…
Historical – ethnographical museum ”Old Sarepta”
The German colony founded here a settlement in 1765. The German missionaries were busy with religion, economic and science activities. One and two-storied buildings of the 18-th century are kept in safety here. More…
Memory Park
The Soviet Union helped the Afghanistan government to strengthen socialism in the country. The Soviet Army took part in defending socialism and Afghanistan people from the enimies. 14,5 thousand of our young people fell down here. There were Volgograders among them, of course. Memory Park was planted in their honor. More…
Churches of Volgograd
There are many old churches in Volgograd that belong to the monuments of architecture. More...
  Lisaya Gora
It is one of the most important heights in Volgograd- You can see the sights of our city, especially the southern ones. This hill is covered with sand and devoid of vegetation. That`s why it was called Lisaya Gora. It was the place of heavy struggles during the Great Patriotic War. More…
  Lenin in Volgograd
Lenin was the organizer and the leader of the Soviet state. He was the founder of the Soviet State. He was a genious speaker and tactician. Lenin`s death was a great loss for millions of our people. Many monuments were erected in different cities to honour his memory.  Somewhat monuments erected in Volgograd. More…
  Monument to N. Rudnev
Nikolai Rudnev was born in a family of a priest in 1894. In 1915 he finished a secondary school and entered Moscow University. After military courses he served in the Army and commanded a company. In 1917 he became a member of the Bolsheviks party and commanded a regiment in the Red Army. He was defending Tsaritsin in the region of Beketovka, was wounded and died in a hospital in 1918. One of the railway stations and moorages in Volgograd are named after him. A granite monument was erected in Kirovsky District.
  Monument to G. Zasekin
This monument to G Zasekin (The first governor of Tsaritsin) was opened on November 4 2009. He was a great leader and demonstrated his talents not once. He was awarded many times, and the last reward “Gold copeck” he got from the Russian Tzar Ivan the Great. It is the first horse sculpture in Volgograd.
  The Brother`s Grave of the 62-nd and 65-th Armies
The park is named after Gagarin's mass grave, and here it is buried about 2000 soldiers. In 1987 a new monument was erected here. It`s pedestal is covered with marble plates with the names of dead fighters on the three sides. And the fourth side has an inscription: “The defenders of the 62-nd and 65-th Armies fell down here like heroes during the Great Patriotic War”.
  The place of military execution of defenders of Tsaritsin
It was the place where many Red Army`s defenders were killed. An arched stele was erected here to honour the memory of the fallen. It is written here: “ 1500 heroic people were killed in Red Tsaritsin by the White Army”.
  The auxiliary detachment Point of the 64-th Army
The authority of the city and the staff of the 64-th Army was situated here, on this height. They didn’t let the German Army occupy Kirovsky District and come to the Volga. It was opened on February 2, 1974.
  The monument to the doctors
The granite monument symbolizes a broken heart and a tree of Life inside it. We can see it in front of the Medicine Academy. It is devoted to all doctors of the city Tsaritsin, Stalingrad and Volgograd.
  Brother`s grave for the defenders of Red Tsaritsin
This grave is near the station Sarepta on the territory of the Church. About 311 people are buried here. This monument was opened in 1974. One can see an inscription on the plate: “A lot of famous defenders of Tsaritsin, fallen down in the fights with the White Army in 1919, are buried here”.
  The equilibre
The equilibre was opened on May 8, 2005. One can say it is erected for honouring the 60-th anniversary of the Great Patriotic War. The greatest break took place. This sculpture consists of rude-done granite blocks. This monument is part of a huge composition of five elements. These elements are located in five cities in Europe: Cologne (Germany), Santanyi (Spain), Tronheim (Norway), Cork (Ireland), Volgograd (Russia). There elements organize a cross of 4000 km. Cross stretching from the East to the West, shows that the balance between peace and understanding can be ruined any minute.
Railway Station
During the Great Patriotic War, on August, 23, 1942 the building of the station was ruined. The new railway station was rebuilt in 1954. Since 1997 it is regarded the monument of architecture.
  Memorial – historical museum
At Station Square is a two-storey building. It was built in 1903 by a merchant-woman J. Repnikova. It is a building of new Russian style of the 19 – 20-th centuries. The Defence Council and authority systems were situated here. In 1937 the Defence Museum was opened here. After the Stalingrad Battle this house was quite rebuilt. It is a masterpiece of Russian architecture. It was one of the three buildings which was not destroyed during the War.
Volzhsky Hydro – electric power Station
It is situated 20 km from the centre of Volgograd if you move to Volzhsky-town. The station was being built for 10 years from 1951 till 1962. The height of the dam is 47 m, the length – 1200 m. The hydro-electric power construction stretches for 5 km. It consists of a ground channel dam, a building of a hydro-electric power station, a pouring – off dam with a fishlift, ship locks, a railway and auto way, a substation of constant current.
Chekists Square
The monument to honor the memory of the fallen chekists, militiamen, soldiers and officers defending the city during the Great Patriotic War was erected in 1947. The height of the monument is 22 m. The height of the chekist-fighter is 5,8 m.
The Brothers Tom
The fighters of the 39-th and 45-th Divisions are buried here. In 1942-1943 they defended Stalingrad with great heroism.
The Brothers Tom of the Sailors
The sailors of the Volzhsky navy and the workers of the plant ”Red October” fell down defending the city and were buried here in September 1919.
Fire - tower
It is one of two kept in safety towers in Volgograd. It was built in 1897. Many documents were studied after the was for rebuilding the first Tsaritsin Fire Unit. Now it looks like it used to be.
The synagogue building
It was built in the 20-th century. This monument of architecture is protected by the government.
The Don Kazak Theatre

This building of the theatre was constructed by the Tsaritsin timber merchant Shlikov for public needs. This two-storied building with a basement was ruined during the Great Patriotic War. But in 1952 it was newly rebuilt in it`s origin. The decorations of this building give the theatre great charm. The 4-th women`s college was opened here in 1910. This educational organisation existed till 1942. After the reconstruction in 1952 a cinema-hall was opened here. Now it is a seat of the Don Kazak Theatre.
The Planetarium
It was built in 1954. It is a German project. The diameter of the dome is 25 m and the height – 43 m. There is an observatory in the Planetarium. It is a round hall with a telescope and moving ceiling and floor.
The monument to the defenders of Red Tsaritsin
It is dedicated to the fighters who defended the city from the White Army in 1918-1919. The monument combines six figures. The height of the monument is 4 m. It was erected in 1961.
The monument to komsomol members
It was opened in February, 1973 and dedicated to the Komsomol defenders of Stalingrad. Three young people (a girl and two boys) suffer the death of their friend. The main idea of symbol can be the words: “Even death can`t overcome them”.
The monument to the North sailors
It was erected in front of the elevator in 1977 to honor the memory of the fallen sailors. They offered strong resistance to the nazi troops for the ownership over the elevator in 1942-1943. The height of the monument is 7 m.
The monument to the civil population
It was erected in 1995 in honor of the 50-th anniversary of the victory over the nazi troops. It is dedicated to the civil population of the city who fell down in the result of bombing in August 1942.
The monument to the patriots
This monument to the young brave people, real patriots of the country was erected in front of a Volgograd school. There people were allowed to go to the front but continued to struggle in the rear of the enemy.
The monument to M. Agashina
Margarita Agashina is a well – known Russian post. She lived in Volgograd from 1951 till 1999. Her verses are about love, children, Russian woman and Volgograd. Many songs were composed on her verses. The song -”A birch-tree grows in Volgograd” is the most popular with people. In 1993 Agashina was awarded the title -”The honored citizen of the city-hero Volgograd”.
The monument to Pushkin
Pushkin was the greatest Russian poet with negro roots. The monument is situated in a park in Kirovsky District in front of culture House. Pushkin is popular in this country with his poems, verses and novels. People all over the world are fond of reading his books. He wrote about love, people, nature and there topics are close people. There are numerous monuments to this great writer in different cities of our country.
The monument to V. Efremov

It was erected in 1952 to honor the memory of the twice – hero of the Soviet Union Efremov. The whole height of the monument is 4,2 m. His native city is Tsaritsin. During the Great Patriotic War he fulfilled 340 military flights and destroyed 32 fascist planes.

The monument to General M. Shumilov
General Shumilov took part in the First World War in 1916. He is a participant of the Civil War in 1918, military activities in Span, the Soviet – Finnish War in 1939, the defence of Leningrad and Stalingrad during the Great Patriotic War.
The monument to M. Panikacha

It was erected to honor the memory of this courageous 28-year-old hero because of his deed in 1975. You can see a young soldier in fire with a grenade in his hand who wants to stop an enemy tank. He was awarded an order of the Great Patriotic War for his deed. In 1990 he was awarded the title of the. Hero of the Soviet Union posthumous.

The monument to A. Serafimovich (1863-1949)
It is situated in front of the Teachers Training University. Alexander Serafimovich was a famous Russian and Soviet writer.
The monument to M. Kalinin
M.Kalinin was an outstanding statemon of Russia. He was born in a reasantry family in 1875, joined the revolutionary movement in his youth, was arrested many times by the tsar government but continued his revolutionary activity. He took part in October revolution, was awarded. The monument is erected in front of school nr. 3 of Volgograd.
The monument to Dzerginsky
He was a Polish nobleman. In his youth he was fond of revolutionary ideas, was the member of the first Soviet Government. The monument is situated in front of the Tractor Plant in 1936. During the war it was damaged and then newly rebuilt. It is of historical value.
The monument to Volgograd fighters
It will be erected on Lenin Avenue, will be dedicated to the defenders of Motherland, who fell down in the Army in peace time.
The monument to the soldiers of the Red Army
24 soldiers of the Red Army were cruelly killed here during the fights with the White Army. It is situated in Kirovsky District.
The Memory Public Garden
One can find in near autostation ”Southern”. The monument to the military men fallen down in peace time is erected there.
The monument to our countrymen
Opposite school nr. 133 there is a monument to our countrymen. They fell down defending Mongolia from Japan conquerors on the river Halhin - Hall in May – September of 1939. The words of gratitude from the Mongolia people are cut on the monument: “Dear brothers of the Red Army, defenders of our Motherland, we greet you with all our hearts from the people of Mongolia”.
The monument to the Fallen Fighters
It is in front of professional school nr. 8 erected in honor of the fallen graduates. The fell down fulfilling their military duty.
Tank T-34
During the Great Patriotic War Stalingrad Tractor Plant was producing tanks T-34 that destroyed the Fascist Army. This tank was a dangerous armament in the fight. That is why a tank-34 is placed in the centre of the square in front of Stalingrad Tractor Plant in honour of military and labour deeds of the workers. It`s reconstruction was done in 1978.
Tank T-34
During the years of the war (1941-1945) Stalingrad deckyard was the place where the armour tank corps and tank turrets destroyed in the fights were repaired. One of there tanks which took part in the fights of 1944 was placed at Stalingrad shipbuilding plant. “Tank T-34 is placed here in honour of heroic labour deed of Stalingrad dockyard workers in the years of the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945”. These words are cut on the pedestal of the monument.
The monument-”Glory to the heroes of Stalingrad”
It was erected on the place where Colonel Gorochov`s group was waging a hard fight against the fascists in Tractor District . A tank (of model 34) is placed on a high granite pedestal. It is written on the plate: “Glory to Stalingrad heroes! The front line of defence of the group under the command of Colonel Gorochov was here September – November 1942”.

[Sign My Guestbook] [View My Guestbook]
Powered by E-Guestbooks Server.