Historical – ethnographical museum ”Old Sarepta”
In December, 1972 the Russian Tzarist Ekaterina-II promoted publishing of the Law – to live in these steppes and defend Russia from Kalmiks, Kazachs, and Tatars. This Law pointed the places for the people where to settle. One of this places is where the river Sarpa comes into the Volga. People who arrived here from Germany called this place Sarepta (it is clear to persons who know about Sidon Sarepta). And the river Sarpa promoted the name of the settlement. The German colonists had been living there for 100 years. Sarepta with their help became a real paradise. A lot of factories, plants and different shops were built here. The Germans were busy with agriculture, producing different goods, trade and handicraft. Our city is famous for mustard production. The Germans founded some big factories producing this delicious product. They took part in different spheres of science. They were the first who opened a spa – resort on the Ergeninsky Mountains with mineral water and mud-baths. This resort was called Ekaterininsky.
The wooden houses of the Ekaterininsky resort disappeared but a spring still exits. It is marked as a State lager of mineral waters.
Any person can come here and get this medicinal water. The spring has been existing for 240 years but it doesn’t change its nature. If you taste it, you can feel salted elements in it.
With the coming of the Soviet power in May, 1920 Sarepta was renamed into Krasnoarmeisk, and the Church Square – into Freedom Square. The atheism propaganda was going on everywhere. Many churches were destroyed or simply closed. The German church wasn`t an exeption. It`s last pastor was arrested and exiled to Siberia in 1936. In 1939 the church was completely plundered and closed. The church and the structures around it were occupied with shops, warehouses, a hospital and for some other needs of the population.
During the Great Patriotic War no building in Sarepta was destroyed because war fightings took place in the northern part of it. A new hospital was founded on the territory of the colony. 1200 fighters were mortally wounded during the struggles for Stalingrad and were buried here in a brother`s grave.
In 1958 a granite monument about 18 m. in height was erected in the centre of Freedom Square. There are these words on it: “Glory to the fallen fighters. They defended courageously Stalingrad in 1942 – 1943”. In peacetime German missionaries built on the square a fountain with water for drinking. It was the Ergeninsky`s spring water. At first this clearest mineral water was transported with the help of a clay tube and then it was flowing through plenty of wooden tubes along the streets.
The Historical – ethnographical museum ”Old Sarepta” was created in September, 1990 by the order of Ministry of Culture 28 buildings were given to the museum. But now the territory of Sarepta is surrounded with many – storeyed high buildings. People who work here make great efforts to rebuild the houses and collect museum exhibits. There are five museum exhibitions here now.
One of the wine shops was rebuilt. It was founded and reconstructed the equipment for producing wine. The barrels bottles and jugs of these times are presented at this exhibition.
There is a country house of a peasant from the southern part of Russia in the period of the 19-th century. One can see here granary, a hata (a small village house) under a thatch roof with some decorations as well.
Nearby you can see an old horse-cart.
The model of the fortress in Sarepta gives a possibility to imagine the German colony in origin. The model is surrounded with the unique things of the colony foundation: Ekaterina-II charter, a great State seal, portraits of Sarepta founders and sponsors, different tables with old arms (spears, scrords, cannon-balls). The bishop`s clothes, first bells apart of an organ from the old German kirk .
If you don`t know, Zembel was a famous German handicraftsman. He produced baskets. They were cane ones. The territory of Sarepta is full of this plant.
On the stand one can see the equipment for joinery.
The first tools in Russia for mustard production from the Tsaritsin plant are presented here. The enterprise was opened in 1801 by a doctor and a scientist Konrad Neits. That plant was presented many times at Russian and world exhibitions. A mustard plant is going on to work in Krasnoarmeysky District. It produces 10 kinds of mustard. It is popular in many countries.
The agricultural tools occupy their honour place here. The Germans tried to grow wheat. They succeeded in this activity. They organised mill production on the territory of Sarepta.
Pottery, ceramics, store decorations, roof tiles and parts of a clay tube are exhibited here.
On the stand of the black – smiths you can find old locks handles, spades, pitchforks, old scales, irons. For example, the irons were heated in the ovens in the 19 - 20-th centuries.
A lot of sewing equipment is presented on the stands. The Germans produced some sewing and knitting equipment. “Sarpinka” (it is linen made of silk and flax threads) is from that place. Silk and flax were produced here as well.
There was a chemist`s in Old Sarepta. We can find a lot of medical plants in its surroundings. The doctors tried and succeeded in making pills and mixtures on the basis of there plants. They cured different illnesses. For curing people they gathered about 20 different Kinds of plants and grasses and produced their own balsam. It was for medicine needs only. They say it was green, spicy, not very tasty but did a lot of good for people. That balsam was kept only in clay bottles.
Every month free-of-charge exhibitions take place in this museum. A two-storeyed hall is opened for it. Any person can come here.
In the newly rebuilt Justice House there is a German library which has a fine collection of scientific and fiction literature in Russian, German and English languages.
Old Sarepta museum has got two houses that are called: ”The House of unmarried women” and ”The House of single men”. Nowadays they are combined together.
Krasnoarmeysky Military Office occupied one building in Sarepta but it was rebuilt to the taste of the owners.
The house of the colonist where he used to live. It is in a good order.
The trade house built by Golbach was rebuilt. Many exhibitions occupy this building because it has got many large and comfortable halls. It is pity but only these buildings are the real honour of this museum. It needs great help for reconstruction.

There are the photos of the buildings that are in ruins. It will be good to make some reconstruction works here. In reality there are more. If anybody can help this museum, answer, please. Any help will be adopted.

Our great respect to the people who can really help to museum.

[Sign My Guestbook] [View My Guestbook]
Powered by E-Guestbooks Server.